Q1:What resources does the Student Counseling Center (SCC) provide?

  • SCC not only provides individual counseling, groups and workshops, and services for colleges and departments but also advocates for mental health and conducts surveys on mental health. For more information on each service, please visit the Services page.

Q2:How can I make an appointment for counseling? If there is an emergency, can I walk in to SCC?

  • To make an appointment for counseling, please click on Intake Service on the homepage and choose the time suitable for you. If you have no access to the Internet or have any problem with the system, you can call the center to make an appointment. If you are in desperate need of someone to talk with and not able to wait for an appointment, you can walk in and you will receive appropriate help from the counselor on duty.

Q3:What is the opening time of the Student Counseling Center? Can I have counseling at night on weekdays or weekends?

  • SCC is open from 8:00 to 17:00 on weekdays, except for 12:00 to 13:00 during the winter and summer breaks. SCC does not open on weekends at the moment. However, some individual counseling services are available at night. For those who would like to use the night service, please make an appointment for a daytime intake session, and the intake counselor will refer you to a part-time counselor working at night. Since the number of counselors available at night is limited, you might have to wait longer for a night session. Therefore, to utilize daytime service is recommended if you have relatively urgent needs.

Q4:Is the intake service available for students at the NTU Language Center or for exchange students?

  • Intake service is only for registered students at NTU. If you have other questions, please contact SCC.

Q5:If I am taking a temporary leave or have graduated from NTU, can I receive any help from SCC?

  • It is great to know that you are looking after your mental health while on leave or after graduation. The online intake registration is not available for those who are on leave, but you can come to SCC and make a reservation at the counter. SCC does not offer services to unregistered students. However, if you need individual or group counseling, or want to participate in off-campus workshops, please visit the Off-campus Resources page for suitable services.

Q6:Do I have to make an intake appointment or take a psychological test with the counselor who is in charge of the college I belong to?

  • No. You can make an appointment with any counselor on the online system as long as the time suits you.

Q7:Should I seek help from a social worker, a clinical psychologist, or a counseling psychologist?

  • All the social workers, clinical psychologists, and counseling psychologists at SCC are professionally trained and can all provide you with high-quality services. However, if you have further questions, please visit the Staff page on the website and choose a suitable counselor according to their specialties.

Q8: I would like to seek advice from several counselors. Can I make appointments with more than one counselor?

  • First of all, it is great to know that you take your own issues seriously and do your best to seek help. However, counseling is based on a one-on-one and mutually trusting relationship. The social workers and psychologists at SCC might have different styles and paces in helping students, and the differences might lessen the effect of counseling if you make appointments with more than one of them. Therefore, SCC recommends counseling with one counselor at a time. You can let your counselor know that you would like to take advice from different people and work out an appropriate solution together.

Q9:If I think my current counselor is not suitable for me, what can I do? Can I change to another counselor?

  • Counseling is a cooperative relationship. The psychologists and social workers at SCC might have their own styles and focuses, so it might take some time for you to familiarize with each other. If you think your current counselor is not suitable for you, you can raise this issue during the counseling session and discuss with the counselor about possible adjustments. However, if you have expressed yourself and tried to adjust but still consider the counselor unsuitable, you can cancel the session anytime. Please make sure to terminate the sessions with the original counselor before making new intake registration.

Q10:I am late on the intake session I’ve reserved. Can I still go to the session? If I have to cancel the intake session due to urgent issues, what can I do?

  • The purpose of the intake session is for counselors to have a preliminary and comprehensive understanding of your difficulties and arrange future counseling sessions, testing, or other services. The intake session generally takes 30-50 minutes, so you can still attend the session even if you are a little late. However, in order to ensure the quality of counseling and to protect your rights, it is recommended that you come on time. If you have urgent issues that prevent you from attending the session, please inform SCC by email or by phone (02-3366-2181) at least 24 hours prior to the appointment. You can make another intake appointment afterward. However, if you miss your appointment without canceling twice in six months, you will be banned from making appointments online for the next three months. Please understand that the policy is for protecting the rights of all students.

Q11:Generally speaking, what kind of people or what kind of situation requires help from SCC? My issues do not seem so serious, would I waste the resources? Would others mistake me as someone who has problems?

  • Actually, most students come to SCC for common worries such as falling behind in school performance, relationship or family issues, emotional troubles, self-searching, career planning, and the meaning of life. Everyone encounters obstacles at some stage in life which requires help from others. If you are willing to talk, SCC always welcomes you. In addition, some more serious emergencies or issues you are too embarrassed to talk about or do not know whom to turn to might happen. These are the moments when counselors can be of great help. In short, whatever the reasons, as long as you think you cannot face the difficulty alone and you have no one to accompany you or to help you, SCC welcomes you with open arms.

Q12:Does counseling mean unveiling one’s secrets? What if my classmates, friends, parents, or teachers get to know about them?

  • The counselors at SCC highly respect the autonomy of the students during counseling sessions. Therefore, you can decide the broadness and the depth of the conversation. If you feel unprepared about the things you are about to share, you can totally choose not to tell. Moreover, confidentiality is a crucial part of counseling. In principle, SCC will not reveal your information and the content during the counseling sessions without your permission. That is, others will not even know about your visit to the center unless you share it yourself. However, the confidentiality might be broken when: 1) you put your own or others’ life, freedom, property, and safety in danger, 2) you raise issues that have to be reported according to laws and regulations (such as the Sexual Assault Crime Prevention Act, the Domestic Violence Prevention Act, and the Protection of Children and Youth Welfare and Rights Act), or 3) you mention issues that have to be reported by the Ministry of Education according to laws (such as the Gender Equity Education Act). When the above-mentioned situations occur, we will discuss with you and inform the related parties of the necessary information to protect you and mobilize sufficient resources in related fields to help you resolve the difficult situations.

Q13:Why is there a six-time limit to counseling? If I still have other issues after six sessions, can I continue?

  • The number of sessions required by each person differs according to their own situation, the complexity of the issues, and the counselors’ styles. Sometimes one or two sessions are enough to improve the situation, while at other times it takes six or more sessions to produce the effect. In principle, the counseling sessions are limited to six times. The main reason for the policy is to allow all the students in need to receive individual counseling. However, if you still have some unresolved problems after six sessions and your counselor agrees that extra sessions might be helpful, you can extend the counseling. Counselors usually take the initiative to discuss with you about a possible extension, but you can also tell the counselor your need for an extension and work out a suitable arrangement together.

Q14:Can I solve my problems by seeing a counselor? If not, what help can I get from counseling?

  • Counseling allows you to talk to professionally trained social workers or counselors in a safe, private, and comfortable environment. They are objective and non-judgmental while listening to your problems. Unlike casual conversations, the professionals can help you express yourself and organize your thoughts, which can in turn relieve your stress. Many students expect their problems to be quickly solved after counseling. However, some problems result from an accumulation of things happening throughout the years and require long-term counseling to solve; while some problems are not caused by you alone and thus cannot be solved by you alone. Consequently, receiving counseling might not guarantee an improvement of the situation. Nevertheless, more often than not, you can experience some growth or changes in yourself after several counseling sessions. For example, you might discover new ways to face your problems, come up with new thoughts or ideas, know yourself better, become more confident, or feel relieved. If you are not content with the outcome of counseling after a few sessions, you can try to express your feeling and work out a more appropriate and helpful arrangement with your counselor.

Q15: How can I apply for psychoactive drug or mental health benefits?

  • The Student Assistance Division under the Office of Student Affairs at NTU offers mental health benefits. Please visit the Student Assistance Division website for the application information.

Q16:How can I apply for a proof of counseling?

  • You can first inform your counselor of the reasons why you need to apply for a proof of counseling. The counselor will then assess your situation and help you fill out the required application forms. It takes around two weeks for the center to provide you with the document. If you cannot come to the center in person, you can write a letter of authorization and ask someone else to collect the document for you.

    Application for proof of counseling    doc

Q17:My classmates or my family are having a difficult time. Can I make an intake appointment for them?

  • It is really nice of you to care about your classmates and your family. However, counseling is based on a one-on-one and mutually trusting relationship, which requires those in need to be willing to seek help or have the motivation for receiving counseling. If they are afraid of or worried about counseling initially, you can explain to them the purpose of counseling, encourage them to make a reservation, or accompany them to SCC. If they are unwilling to use counseling services, you can also make an intake appointment yourself and discuss with the counselor about how you can provide your classmates or family appropriately. This also allows the counselor to share your burden of taking care of others.

Q18:Can I accompany my friend to counseling?

  • For the intake session, you certainly can accompany your friends to SCC. However, the counselor will decide whether it is appropriate for you to join the session and make the best arrangement for the one in need. Therefore, you might have to wait in the waiting area at the center. Nevertheless, being willing to accompany your friends to counseling clearly indicates that you are warm-hearted and greatly value your friendship. Thank you for helping those in need receive help.

Q19:My friend is in an emergency. Can I talk to a counselor?

  • If there is an immediate crisis, please contact the Student Security Center, police, fire brigade, or medical departments (visit the Emergency page for more information). If there is no immediate danger but you are nervous or worried about the looming crisis, you can call or visit SCC and talk to the counselor on duty. They will discuss and work out a solution with you, as well as mobilize other crisis management resources on and off campus when necessary.

Q20:Where is the Disability Support Services Office? What is their phone number?

  • The telephone number for the Disability Support Services Office is 886-2-3366-3236~9. It is located near the Administration Building, next to the Mail Room and the Student Housing Service Division. If you are at the Common Courses Building, head to the back of the Administration Building. Keep going toward the direction of the 1st Graduate Dorm and you can see the Disability Support Services Office.

    For more information, please visit the Disability Support Services Office website.



Visits 3140